Native employees of sealing ships

John Lutz jlutz at UVIC.CA
Wed Apr 25 18:25:11 UTC 2007

Thanks Duane for the story behind that much-reproduced picture. I think
it is on the cover of one of the Sound Heritage volumes produced by the
BC Archives many years ago.

Many of you will know this: Franz Boas recorded Chinook Jargon songs in
Victoria in the late 1880s and published some of them. One of them was a
song composed by Nuu cha nulth sealer left behind by a sealing schooner
in Alaska, as recorded by Boas:

Haiias lēlē naika sick tumtum
A long time I felt unhappy

Pe okok sun elip haias k’al
But today is the hardest day,

Kada Entelplaize yaqka leave naika.
For the [ship] Enterprise has left me.

Franz Boas, “Chinook Songs”,
Journal of American Folklore, 1 (April 1888) 220-6.

I have been working on a book on aboriginal wage labour and these are
two paragraphs from that manuscript which summarize the involvement of
native people in the sealing industry (and mention Terry's friend
Charles Jones):

"The first of the pelagic vessels took on an Aboriginal crew in 1866 and
by 1891 the industry was well underway when 286 Indians were listed by
the Fisheries Department as crew on sealing boats and the federal census
(conducted by the Indian agent) showed 40 percent of Nuu-chah-nulth men
claimed sealing as their main occupation. At its peak, in 1896, 889
Aboriginal People participated in the sealing fleet, the majority drawn
from the Nuu-chah-nulth population of the West Coast Indian Agency,
whose population, men, women and children, was estimated that year at
2,800. From 1860s to the mid 1883 aboriginal hunters were the only
sealing labour. Non-aboriginal sealers began to be taken on in 1884 and
for a short interval, 1890-94 they comprised the majority. From the
mid-1890s onward a ban on shooting seals meant that aboriginal hunters
using spears, again comprised the majority of the seal hunters, their
percentage, fluctuating between 51 and 73 percent of the total sealing
work force.

Charley Nowell and Charles Jones were among the Aboriginal People who
worked on the sealing schooners and who left a record of their
experience. Sealing was a lucrative occupation while it lasted, though
the level of income for any one hunter was highly variable from year to
year. Charley Jones recalls sealers earning $1,000 in a good year and
Alex Amos' father used to come home with $700; and in 1892, one of the
best years, sealers from Ahousat earned an average of $1,200 each. Other
sealers made between $200 and $600 that year, while those who were on
schooners seized by American authorities only took home $40 to $60 for
the season. The routine statistics generated by the Department of
Fisheries give a better indication of the average sealing income. These
suggest an 1892 average income for all hunters, white and Aboriginal,
was closer to $94. However, after 1900, when comparable figures from the
Department of Indian Affairs become available, they show that aboriginal
hunters earned twice the income of all seal hunters taken together."

Another source for the sealing industry records the use of CJ:

“[Captain Cox} hunted out ‘Old Jim’, who had been the headman or tyee of
the crew the previous cruise. Jim was pleased to see him and, of course,
to receive the cultus potlatch, or gift, that he gave him. But when it
came to the matter of hunters for the year, the old man shook his head,
and in Chinook told the captain there would be no hunters.... ‘The
people are afraid of the Bostonman’s skookum-house. Some of those who
were put in the skookum-house from other villages did not return.”’

[Ahousat sealers refusing to work owing to threat of seizures in the
Bering Sea by American patrol vessels.]

Bruce Mckelvie, Add Mss 115 Box 3 file 2
“Saga of Sealing” Written by B.A. McKelvie
from the Recollections of Captain Ernst F. Jordan.

John

--

John Lutz
History Department