This is not a "poor little me" language

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Feb 26 19:06:43 UTC 2007

FWIW, checking through the corpus of Jargon letters, I notice that the only
word that ever occurs together with any pronoun is KANAWI "all".*

So you'll often find references to "all of us", "all of them", etc.

But you won't find determiners (like "the"), other quantifiers
besides "all" (so no "three of us", "none of you"), or (attributive)
adjectives.

So if your model was the Jargon of these letters, you couldn't say
literally "poor little me" or "lucky you"!

I reckon you'd get awfully close by using a full sentence, though.  Lots of
the writers did this.  So we do find expressions like "Oh, I'm (so) poor".

This could be a nice mini-lesson for Jargon learners who want to talk the
way we know people used to use CJ.

--Dave R.

*Note, I'm talking about words occurring together with a pronoun in the
same phrase (NP where pronoun is head & those other words would be
dependents).