Kanada = 'back East'; nothing = 'it'

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 21 22:23:39 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, David Robertson <ddr11 at columbia.edu> wrote:
> This passage also shows something people did very very frequently in
> Jargon: When the object of a sentence was 'it' (sometimes 'him' or 'her'
> too), no word at all stood for the object.  Below, I symbolize this by [0].

That's not uncommon in many native languages of the region. No
surprise to see it in Jargon.

> Ukuk pipa iaka klatwa kopa Pir Lshak iaka aws.
> THAT NEWSPAPER IT GO TO FATHER LE JACQ HIS HOUSE
> The paper had gone to Pere Le Jacq's place.
>
> Kakwa naika ilo aiak nanitsh [0]."
> SO I NOT QUICKLY SEE IT
> So I didn't get to see it right away.

I'm curious here, were both "aws" and "aiak" lacking initial "h" in
the original? Is this sort of initial aspiration loss common to BC
Jargon users? I'm used to seeing them as "haws" and "hayak" or
something similar.

James