Kanada = 'back East'; nothing = 'it'

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Jan 23 00:03:19 UTC 2007

I find a number of words like these in the shorthand texts.

The two forms you refer to are common in the shorthand.  This has a lot to
do with French-speaking priests having created the literary standard, which
led to /h/ having pretty unpredictable distribution.

Also, Indigenous people very successfully learned the resulting
standardized forms.  (Ironically this was because they were learning by the
whole-word method instead of the intended alphabetic system.)  So, wherever
the French guys wrote "h", you usually find it in the Indian letters.
Wherever "h" was left out, it's usually left out in the letters.

There are many counterexamples, though, all of which have very good reasons
for popping up.

For one thing, "house" originally had an "h", obviously.  And pretty much
everybody was pronouncing it that way in Jargon.  So there are lots of
spellings like <haws> in these letters.

And sometimes you'll find <haiak> even though there was no "h" in the word
originally (in Chinookan).  The reason for this is clear, too.  The
pronunciation with "h" (hyak) was very frequent, especially among English-
speakers.  It was reinforced by those inescapable popular dictionaries of
Jargon, that copied from each other.  Once in a while a shorthand letter
writer shows awareness of this trend, and writes an "h" in this word.

In short, there was variation between h-full and h-less versions of some
words, but when the "h" was present etymologically, it seems it was also
pretty much the norm for the letter writers.  Despite the French priests.
One way we can tell this is from the words that aren't standard CJ--
therefore not transmitted via Frenchified standard spellings--that appear
in these letters, always with "h" when expected: <halo> for "hello", <Hari>
for "Harry", <Hai Bar> for "High Bar" (village), etc.

Cheers,

--Dave R