Chilcotin CJ-English mix, from another source

John Lutz jlutz at UVIC.CA
Sun Jun 3 00:23:17 UTC 2007

Hi Dave;

I am really interested in the language of communication in the Chilcotin
too and this is my hypothesis:

The jargon is for most of BC a fur trade and language of work introduced
from the Columbia River and then flowing north with white settlement.
The Tsilhqot'in (Chilcotin) pretty much drove the Hudson's Bay Co out of
their territory in the 1840s, and the Fort journals there speak of
having Baptiste, an interpreter, which I presume means he could speak
their Athabaskan language.

When Chartres Brew went into the Chilcotin area during the Chilcotin War
he found that on the western edges anyway no one spoke CJ and as you
have noted Livingstone Farrand made the same complaint in 1900 when he
tried to do anthropology.

White settlement was late in the Chilcotin and I think that the
introduction of CJ was late too. Formal education was also late get into
the Chilcotin, few went to the residential school at Williams Lake and
local schools were not established until the 1940s. As a result English
did not become a second language to the Tsilqhot'in until later than
elsewhere so CJ stayed the medium of communication longer than most
places. Does that fit?

Here is more fuel for your theorizing from the central Chilcotin:

*Geological Survey of Canada, June, 1925*

When we got back to camp I was delighted to find that Henry Alexis and
his wife had arrived with 14 horses, 12 rented to the survey ... Henry
had killed a deer along the way and about the first thing he said to me
was “Me saddlem horse, me see’em mowich, me shootem, me kipem, heap
fine” ... Henry liked to talk and told us many useful things in his
mixture of broken English, local Indian and Chinook

Hugh Bostock

“Pack Horse Tracks,” Geological Survey of Canada, Open File, 650, 19

John

--

John Lutz
History Department