One's "name to the white man"

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Fri Mar 9 17:00:26 UTC 2007

A little cultural lesson from interior BC:

An interesting expression in the Chinook letters, and a reasonably common
one, is to talk about somebody's "name to the white man".

There are a couple of ways to say it.

(1) literally "name to the white man":

"Pos maika mamuk pipa kopa naika, ukuk naika nim kopa wait man: Billy Clark,
Spuzzum, BC"
"If you write to me, this is my name to the white man: Billy Clark,
Spuzzum, BC."

(2) literally "name to the governor / government":

"Iaka nim Paistir taii, pi Shuiirsti; iht, naika ilo komtaks iaka nim kopa
govni."
"Their [sic] names are Chief Paistir, and Shuiirsti; [there's] one [other],
I don't know his name to the governor."

"Kaltash nsaika mitlait nim taii.  Kaltash ukuk nim ... ukuk nim mitlait
kopa gavmint."
"It's worthless for us to have the name [=title] "Chief".  This name is
worthless ... this name (belongs) to the government."

Cheers,

--Dave R