knoshe?

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Wed Mar 21 17:33:27 UTC 2007

Another set of eyes needs to look at this sentence.  I'm kinda stumped.

"...my good friend, Timentwa Jim...nearly had his windpipe severed...He was
looking pretty 'peaked', but, he informed me, pointing to his throat, 'Pee
hiyu kultus knoshe pee wind chahco kopa yawa!'  (It is very bad when wind
comes out there.)  Then he pointed to his mouth: 'Pee hyas kloshe pee wind
chahco kopa yawa!'  (It is all right when wind comes out there.')"

(Pages 226-227 of U.E. Fries, "From Copenhagen to Okanagan", Caldwell, ID,
Caxton, 1951.)

What is this "knoshe"?

Could it be Fries' absent-minded parallelism with the "kloshe" in Jim's
next sentence?  (I mean a mistake by the writer.)

By the way, there are still Timentwas around, associated with the Colville
Tribes.  The stress is on the first syllable, I seem to remember.  It's one
of those family names like Xhurape that's very distinctive of Eastern
Washington.

Thanks,

--Dave R.