Name of Lillooet writer

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Sat Mar 24 18:40:00 UTC 2007

The name as written in shorthand letters is <shon po lis man li lu it>.

<shon> is the usual shorthand way of writing "John".

<po lis man> I take to be "Policeman" because lots of the letter writers
were village officials; you also find guys (only men) signing
themselves "Michel Shanti Man of Soda Creek", "Shilpahan chief at Tappen
Siding", and (I'm drawing a blank on any specific name) "Watchman at
[village name]".

I suspect "watchman" and "policeman" were equivalent.

<li lu it> is clearly "Lillooet" since the writer mentions <Ansin
Lik> "Anderson Lake" and <Chilal> "Shalalth" elsewhere in the letter.
Another shorthand spelling of Lillooet is <lil wat>.

Speaking of personal names in this letter, the surname of "Basil Clark" is
written in a form indeterminate between shorthand <klak> and <plap>.
Might even be "Black".  Any ideas, Bernard?

I'm always trying to track down exactly who was literate in the
shorthand.  I've got maybe 300-400 individual names so far.

--Dave R.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:59:21 -0700, Bernard Schulmann <bernard at SHAMA.CA>
wrote:

>Is that how the name is written?    I am just interested to figure out
>if I might know which family he was from.
>
>Bernard
>
>Dave Robertson wrote:
>> I believe he went by "John Policeman[,] Lillooet".
>>
>> --Dave R
>>
>> To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!