Shuswap 'gambling' etc

Bernard Schulmann bernard at SHAMA.CA
Wed Mar 28 03:39:58 UTC 2007

The trading network in "chinook" country was a wide and large network.

As an example, the Secwepmec traded with people from Alberta to the
coast.   There was a number of annual gatherings for trading, the one
I am most familar with was the one that took place at Fountain -
Xaxli'p.   The HBC traders at Fort Kamloops integrated into these
annual trading gatherings, but mainly to buy dried salmon as their food.

The type of trade goods found in the Pavilion/Fountain area in
archeological sites is quite astounding  - items from long distances.
  This to me says that there was contact between the people over a
long distance and having cultures/traditions and words travel seems
realistic.

Bernard