Origin of "Coquille"?

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Fri May 4 20:12:28 UTC 2007

> "Finally, Scott Byram pursues the origin of the name Coquille and its
> pronunciation. He traces the evolution of the name for the river from
> Coquell (pronounced "kå-kwel" and derived from the Chinook jargon word for
> lamprey) to Coquille (pronounced kå-keel"), with its supposed origin in
> the French word for shell."

I like this proposal, but am troubled by the lack of any attestation
of CJ skakwal 'lamprey' without the Chinookan dual s- (if there is any
such, I'm not aware of it offhand).  The dual here makes about as much
intuitive sense as it does in 'robin', making the point that gender is
more conventional than always rational in Chinookan.  Henry