S.F. Coombs/George Coombs Shaw? + bibliographia

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 30 09:32:25 UTC 2007

Hello.

Now that we've identified the "mystery dictionary" as by S.F. Coombs, I was reminded that George Shaw's middle name was Coombs, and I'm wondering if he was a relative.

(I apologize if this is obvious; my knowledge of the area's history remains a lot sketchier than I'd like. I haven't had a chance to read up on Coombs yet.)

It appears Coombs was not attributed in the printing of this dictionary; but it was identified by The Newberry by its listing in "Checklist of North and Middle American Indian linguistics" as well as by its terse entry in Pilling.

While Googling around on it, I found it's also listed (though not by author) in "Pacific Northwest Americana: A Checklist of Books and Pamphlets Relating to the History of the Pacific Northwest," Charles W. Smith (New York: H.W. Wilson, 1921), which is in GoogleBooks at http://books.google.com/books?id=41cYAAAAMAAJ where a .pdf may be downloaded. Others might find this a useful, accessible reference.

(I was stumped as to how to search within a GoogleBook, but just discovered there's a search window if one scrolls down the right frame a ways...)

P.S. A bunch of LeJeune stuff at CoyotePress.com these days, about three volumes of KW, sold by issues @ $35-$50 ea, plus some books.

If anybody snags that copy of "Chinook Rudiments" ($100), I'd sure like to borrow it to rescan, as it's not on-line elsewhere, and I returned the mimeo copy I'd scanned long before I knew how to scan faded originals properly. (I was using a 100lb. 300dpi black & white scanner back then.) What I have on my site is barely readable toward the back where the writing gets smaller.

(Of course, I'd like to borrow any Jargon materials to scan for sharing on-line, but at present can't promise a speedy return due to my personal backlog, though I'd scan and return the Rudiments pronto if I had the opportunity.)

Regards,

Jeff