Indian CJ pronunciation sources and a few words

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Fri Sep 21 16:30:58 UTC 2007

Hi James,
I do believe each gave its own accent or pronunciation to WaWa depending on
the
consonants and structure of their Native language.

 tseek tseek for wagon was  c'iik c'iik in Makah which could be the noise
the wagon make (squeek squeek or
from the Nuchanulth   ciik ciik which may mean 'crooked or out of wack or
aslant.

Makah did not have m's or went through a m to b shift in pronunciation so
 le motu became  libiitu   for sheep.

muus muus became buus buus.

An interesting word is   halo  for none.  In Makah this is hiyuu,  and the
wawa word is prononuced   hiluu  in a bone game song,
  hiluu mayka naanich   you cant see (the gambling bones)

There are some comparitive word lists with a proper phonetic transcription.
Dave may have one which compares some words
in Nuchanulth, Makah and Wawa.
 Scott