Indian CJ pronunciation sources and a few words

duane pasco dpasco at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 27 05:20:26 UTC 2007

To whomever.......
	I try not to get involved in these dialogues about Chinook Jargon.
It drives me nuts when I read all these comments by people about
what's the right way to pronounce Chinook Jargon.
	I grew up with this as a child in Alaska in the 1930's. I heard
Athabaskans, Eskimos, Norwegians, Asians, African Americans and Red
Necks from the south trying to express themselves with varying
degrees of expertise.
	When I left Alaska at the beginning of the war and moved to Seatttle
I liked to spend as much time as possible on the waterfront, because
it was always possible to find old-timers, Bostons from all walks of
life and Natives from all over the coast that liked to hang over the
railings, looking at the action on the docks and chit chat in "Chinook".
	I think the Second world war in a way killed Chinook Jargon.
Although in the 1970's it was still possible to find the occasional
old timer that could talk the stuff. An eighty year old man from
Clayoquot on Vancouver Is. and another man of approximately the same
age from the Okanogan tribe in British Columbia were both delighted
to find someone [myself] who could converse with them. I must confess
that the feeling was mutual.
	All the people I just mentioned had their own regional accent and in
some cases an occasional variant in word choice. On the whole,
however, this was overlooked by each of the speakers and
communicating was by and large not a problem.
	None of these persons mentioned, myself included did not learn this
form of speech from a book. When I told Gilbert McCleod in the late
eighties that I was thinking of writing a Chinook Dictionary, he
asked me  "How you Gonna spell it?"
	I never thought about it before. I answered that I didn't think it
mattered. One could spell it with Katakana, Hirigana, the Captain
Marvel code, or whatever, as long as the people writing it, or
reading it understood what sound was intended to be represented by
whatever letter,, symbol, etc.
	I ended up going pretty much by the system used by George Gibbs.
	I guess I'm rambling, but I just want to say that academics have a
tendency to over-anylise Chinook Jargon. It drives me nuts.
	Several years ago a language anthropologist from Toronto by the last
name of Lang made a comment that read something like "There is bi-
monthly publication in Chinook Jargon published in the Seattle area
by a couple of "amateurs...............". When I read this I thought
"what a sophisticated college punk". He was of course referring to
"Tenas Wawa", which I had designed with the intention of helping
interested students by giving them material from which they could see
conversation in Chinook.
	I have since laughed off my initial reaction to his comment.
	I think it must be pretty difficult to learn Chinook, or any other
language from a book. One must really have physical contact with a
Native speaker, meaning not necessarily an Indian.
	Trying to ascertain the "Correct" pronunciation of Chinook Jargon is
almost as rediculous as trying to determine the "correct" English
pronunciation. Crocodile Dundee, Martin Luther King, James Cagney and
Chaucer all spoke "correct" English.
	I've had people write me and ask how they can make their Chinook
Jargon sound more "Indian". I always ask them which kind of Indian do
they which to sound like. . A Nez Perce and a Kwakwakawakw will not
have the same accent as a Tlingit. A member of a Lushootseed speaking
village  would have a different accent than a S'klallam. There is no
letter "M",  or "N" in Lushootseed, although it is a Salish language
along with S'klallam.

Duane Pasco