Indian CJ pronunciation sources and a few words

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Sat Sep 29 15:26:09 UTC 2007

LaXayam Tony,
What a nice web site for wawa and Grandronde Culture.
I truly enjoyed seeing the preschool children anwering questions in wawa and having a good time.
Greetings
Scott
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tony Johnson
  To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:16 AM
  Subject: Re: Indian CJ pronunciation sources and a few words

  khanawi-Laksta,

  As always, when we speak about this topic, I send my apologies for not finishing our dictionary and grammar of Grand Ronde Chinuk Wawa faster.  I would remind people though that our virtual gallery (linked below) has access to some good original materials that reflect the language as spoke in Grand Ronde.  As an update, we are getting closer to publication of our dictionary, and have made a decision to include a number of other good local sources of the language in the overall project.  One of these, the work of Demers, Blanchet and St. Onge, deserves a closer look by folks interested in indigenous pronunciation.  Henry, or someone else on the list, may want to comment on the character set used in their work to help with pronunciation.

  http://www.grandronde.org/culture/ikanum

  aLqi tsa wawa.

  hayu masi (many thanks),

  Tony A. Johnson