Source of tanlki "yesterday"

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Mon May 19 22:42:29 UTC 2008

The LC and Kathlamet citations are fine, but my speculation on the two
being related is looking a bit flimsy, inasmuch as I was tossing off
the elder Wawa form from memory.  To my dismay I find that maybe I'm
getting to an age when I shouldn't try to do things from memory.
Here's checked forms for the 3 more fluent Grand Ronde speakers from
whom this word was recorded (7=glottal stop, L=barred-l):

ta7anLki 'yesterday, tomorrow'
danLki 'yesterday'
tan7aLqi, tanaLqi 'yesterday' (this is the one I was trying to
remember:  possible distorting influence of analogy with "aLqi"
'later').

--Henry