Source of tanlki "yesterday"

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 20 19:17:12 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:06 AM, tanasnaika at gmail.com
<tanasnaika at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know this is a very simple minded idea but tatlki, atlki, chaiki and tiki
> all seem to be related because they end in *ki* and they deal with time.
> (I'm incuding tiki because of the "just about to" meaning)
>
> Does anyone know if there are connections in chinookan?

A wild guess of mine points to Jim's statement "In both K and LC
there's a  "relation-to-time" suffix <-iX> or often just <-i> in LC."
You'd need to see if the other words came from the same source, and
whether the original *-k was doing something morphological or if it
was just the final consonant of the root forms.

James