Fact check: Does "Latah" (Idaho) really mean "teeth"?

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Nov 24 01:31:23 UTC 2008

We've discussed "Latah" on this list before; I carry the assumption that
it's Lewis & Clark's "Lar-tie-lo", said to be their name for the Spokane
Indians.  Their spelling with an "r" suggests to me a pronunciation distinct
from the Jargon word for "tooth".  So "Latah" as a CJ word = a linguistic myth?

--Dave