Fact check: Does "Latah" (Idaho) really mean "teeth"?

Duane Pasco dpasco at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Nov 24 05:40:09 UTC 2008

Dave....
	Latah is also the name of the county over there. I think it is a Nez
perce word, but I don't know what it means. I haven't heard, or
spoken that language for over forty five years.
	The way some of these things were spelled by early Whites leaves
room for a lot of conjecture, as you know. I guess I think of the "r"
thing as sounding like a German "ch". Barbeau did this when trying to
spell Tsimshian words. I think because he was French. He used a 'rh"
combo for the harsher version of that when you press the back of your
tongue against your pallete and asperate it.
	Here's an interesting sidenote, aince Nez Perce [Nimipu] was brought
up and that is their name for the spot where Lewiston and Clarkston
are, at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake rivers,
"Suminikum" [my spelling].
Duane