Wood (1967) "Across the Olympic Mountains"

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Tue Sep 2 04:06:58 UTC 2008

Subtitled "The Press Expedition, 1889-90".  Seattle: The Mountaineers.

Found this today for free.  One man's junk...

No Jargon leaps out at me in this book, though it's a fascinating read of
one expedition's race to be the first to traverse Washington state's Olympic
Peninsula.

I do see on page 25 that a competing group, the Gilman expedition, recruited
a Quinault couple as guides.  The woman is referred to as the man's
"klootchman", for what it's worth.

On page 65 is the explicit note that an elk-hunting group of Clallams found
by the Press expedition didn't know much English, and the explorers no
Jargon.  The latter surprises me but would explain the lack of CJ in this book.

--Dave R