A.F. Chamberlain 1906 "The Human Side of the Indian"

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Sep 15 03:30:11 UTC 2008

In _Popular Science Monthly_, January, pages 503-514

There are several mentions of CJ use among Kootenay Indians here, making it
seem as though knowledge of the Jargon was pretty widespread.  For example
the author tells of communicating with the Kootenay women in CJ because they
were prohibited from speaking English with whites.  And a few phrases are
quoted: "Halo naika cumtux", "cultus wawa", "halo siwash".

I'd thought I'd mentioned this article before, but a search of our listserv
archives says otherwise.  So enjoy -- you can find the article via Google Books.

Cheers,

--Dave R