How do you say "it" in Jargon?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 15 06:50:35 UTC 2008

Hi Dave,

I have noted (but unfortunately omitted the source) that ukuk "this/that" was used also for "it".

Feri
(that's how my relatives and friends call me; Francisc is my "official" first name)

--- On Tue, 9/2/08, Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA> wrote:

From: Dave Robertson <ddr11 at UVIC.CA>
Subject: How do you say "it" in Jargon?
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008, 6:56 AM

I published an article claiming the right way to say "it" in one kind
of CJ
is... [pause] ... [that is, you say nothing].

(Technical details left out, but linguists will see that I'm talking about
an inanimate 3rd-person null pronoun.)

I don't believe I've ever mentioned that another variety, from the
Kamloops
area, has something really similar.  Now that we have access to chunks of CJ
longer than entries in a word list--I mean the full sentences and paragraphs
in the shorthand letters I've found--we can see examples of this.

I thought this was really a neat thing to learn.  Seems like all the
old-time books say that "it" in Jargon = "yaka".  What
I've found is that
"yaka" normally means "her/him".  "It" = [...]

:-)

--Dave R

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond
privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!