Years in Jargon

Tony Johnson Tony.Johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Tue Sep 16 23:11:36 UTC 2008

A quick reply:  In our immersion classrooms we do a number of exercises
around the date daily.  Our kids say,
"makwst-taLlam-tak'amunaq-pi-stuxtkin kHul ukuk."  Hope all is well.

hayu masi (many thanks),

Tony A. Johnson
Cultural Education Coordinator
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde
9615 Grand Ronde Road
Grand Ronde, OR 97347
503-879-2084

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Dave Robertson
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:23 AM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Years in Jargon

Hi, Feri,

Thanks for following up on Jeff's post.  My apologies for not responding
previously to it.

I agree that these are the most likely:

>tahtlelum pee kwaist tukamonuk pee stotekin tahtlelum pee taghum
("nineteen
hundred eighty six")
>or:
>thousand pee kwaist tukamonuk pee stotekin tahtlelum pee taghum

In the southern interior BC variety I study, I have found people using
<tawsan> for '1000'...but nobody wrote out a word for '100'!  They just
used
numeral symbols, that is.  I assume they had a word for '100' if they
were
using a word for '1000', and I know that Father Le Jeune sometimes wrote
~
<handrid> in the Kamloops Wawa newspaper.

So it seems likely that these BC speakers might have said or written the
equivalent of your translations:

<tatlilam <pi> nain handrid <pi> iit tatlilam pi taham>
or
<iht tawsan (pi) nain handrid (pi) iit tatlilam pi taham>

And '2002' might look like:

<mokst tawsan pi mokst>

BUT I SHOULD POINT OUT that in many languages, numbers get expressed by
loanwords.  Especially higher numbers.  Especially using words from a
socially dominant language.  (Generalizations.)

All this, to say that '1986' and '2002' very possibly were pronounced
"nineteen (hundred and) eighty-six" and "two thousand (and) two" in some
folks' Jargon!  I find plenty of English-language number words spelled
out
see
larger numbers written out as words, which leaves open the possibility
they
were said in English.

--Dave R

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 03:08:42 -0700, Francisc Czobor
<fericzobor at YAHOO.COM>
wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>
>I answer so late because I was some days in holidays with no e-mail,
and
back to work was very busy.
>I see that the inquirer prefers the English-based orthography, but
doesn't
use it uniformly  - I mean he uses here "tatlum" and there "tahtlelum"
for
"ten".
>Other remarks:
>- "ikt takamonuk" means "one hundred", to say "nine hundred" I wouldn't
say
"kwaist ikt takamonuk" ("nine one hundred"), but simply "kwaist
takamonuk";
>- "stiekin" is an unusual version for the word for "eight"; the usual
form
used in English-based orthography (Gibbs, Shaw, Hale, Philips) is
"stotekin";
>Thus, using consequently let's say Gibbs' orthography, I would write:
>1986 = tahtlelum tukamonuk pee kwaist tukamonuk pee stotekin tahtlelum
pee
taghum,
>or:
>tahtlelum pee kwaist tukamonuk pee stotekin tahtlelum pee taghum
("nineteen
hundred eighty six")
>or:
>thousand pee kwaist tukamonuk pee stotekin tahtlelum pee taghum (the
English word "thousand", although not in Gibbs, is mentioned in other
sources as being used in CJ; in shorthand it was transcribed as
[tawsan]).