Etymology of a few words

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Thu Sep 25 02:25:15 UTC 2008

James Crippen wrote:

> I'd like to know if anyone can offer source languages for the
> following few words in the Jargon.
>
> lahál "bone game"
> saplíl ~ saplél "flour, bread"
> íkta "something"
> lháxani "outside"

cf. Sahaptin sapíl [barred i for mid, short vowel] 'high quality root
cakes' (E. Hunn _Nch'i-Wána_, Univ. Wash. Press, 1990, p. 99). I don't
know what relationship the Sahaptin word bears to the ChJ.

and Lushootseed seplél/seplíl [e = schwa] 'bread, flour' (from ChJ; D.
Bates, et al., _Lushootseed Dictionary_, Univ. Wash. Press, 1994, p. 202).

The word probably entered English from ChJ through the Lewis and Clark
expedition. In November 1805, William Clark wrote, "those beeds the[y]
trafick with Indians Still higher up this [Columbia] rivers for roabs,
Skins, cha-pel-el bread, beargrass &c." (G. Moulton, ed., _Journals of
the Lewis and Clark Expedition_ v. 5, 1988, p. 371). An editor's note on
p. 380 says, "Cha-pel-el is the Chinookan term a-sáblal, "bread"
(etymology obscure); the term in Chinook Jargon is saplíl. It is cous,
Lomatium cous...It was an important foodstuff in this region and eastward."

Alan