Realistic CJ vocabulary

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Mon Apr 27 00:22:55 UTC 2009

I just had a new look at one of JMR Le Jeune's first publications, and am
remembering that it's one of the more realistic CJ vocabularies in print.
He tried hard to limit it to words actually used in BC where the Oblate
priests worked.  (Comparing against the letters I've read that were written
in CJ by local Native people, I feel he was very successful.)  It's worth
dealing with his idiosyncratic spellings.

Have a look!  (http://www.canadiana.org/cgi-bin/ECO/mtq?doc=15489)

If you have difficulty accessing that URL, try via
(http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Le%20Jeune%2c%20Jean%20Marie%20Raphael).

--Dave R

Title:  Practical Chinook vocabulary comprising all & the only usual words
of that wonderful language arranged in a most advantageous order for the
speedily learning of the same, after the plan of Right Rev. Bishop Durieu O
M.I., the most experienced missionary & Chinook speaker in British Columbia.
Principal Author:  Le Jeune, J. M. R. (Jean Marie Raphaël), 1855-1930.
Imprint:  Kamloops [B.C.] : St. Louis' Mission, 1886.
General Note:  Cover title.
 Attributed to Jean Marie Raphaël Le Jeune--Bibliography of the languages of
the North American Indians / J.C. Pilling.
 Title from title screen.
Document Source:  Scanned from a CIHM microfiche of the original publication
held by the Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service.