estimate(s) of numbers of CJ speakers?

Crystal Szczepanski Crystal.Szczepanski at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Thu Aug 13 18:03:40 UTC 2009

Tony, maybe you could give every one the numbers here in Grand Ronde?

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Duane Pasco
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:21 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: estimate(s) of numbers of CJ speakers?

Sally......
	Do you mean speakers, or someone who learned from a book?
Duane Pasco
	P.S. That sounds arrogant, doesn't it. Sorry, I didn't mean it
that
way. It's just that there is a difference.
	When I wrote my dictionary in the late 80's I couldn't find but
two
persons beside myself who learned it as a child in the pre-war years
and could actually speak it.
	A few folks seem to be able to get pretty good with it by
reading
Tenas Wawa, which is full of conversation. They learn to think in
Jargon instead of trying to put sentences together by looking at the
dictionary.
	Anyway, to answer your question, I guess it comes down to
qualifying
what is meant by "speaking." I think there may be more in the States
than in Canada, but I don't have a clue.