Need help with translation

Tanya Harrison harristb at EOU.EDU
Tue Aug 18 05:55:49 UTC 2009

Laxayem Chinook users,

I'm trying to find Chinuk wawa translations for  'intertribal' and
'upriver'.

A group of us in Pendleton are forming a canoe family, and the skipper wants
our family to have a Chinuk wawa name.  We're an intertribal group, so we've
been trying to translate the word intertribal into Chinuk wawa, ideas are
khanawi tilixam, khanawi Laskta, khanawi Laska, or hayu shawash tilixam.

Another thought is to translate the word 'upriver' into Chinuk wawa, since
we are located up the Columbia.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Hayu mersi,
Tanya Harrison