Need help with translation

Scott Tyler s.tylermd at COMCAST.NET
Mon Aug 24 16:02:55 UTC 2009

These are  a few suggestions,  pardon my poetic use of wawa
Scott Tyler from Neah Bay

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Robertson" <ddr11 at UVIC.CA>
To: <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: Need help with translation

Hi Tanya,

Of course I don't have an exact translation of "intertribal" for you, but
I've come across a few phrases that are close to what you've suggested.  If
you're looking for something short 'n' punchy, maybe a couple words like
"shawash khanamakwst" would do it--"Natives together".

For "upriver" I have something more definite.  In the CJ stuff written by
Native people, I've noticed they say "kikwEli" for "downriver".  (Just that
one word, not *kikwEli tsEqw or anything fancy.)  I'm not sure they ever
*said* the opposite, but it seems like "saXali" for "upriver" would work.
And you might not expect "saXali" to mean that unless you heard this from
me, so I guess this kind of puts you into a secret society :)

--Dave

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:55:49 -0700, Tanya Harrison <harristb at EOU.EDU> wrote:

>Laxayem Chinook users,
>
>I'm trying to find Chinuk wawa translations for  'intertribal' and
>'upriver'.
>
>A group of us in Pendleton are forming a canoe family, and the skipper
>wants
>our family to have a Chinuk wawa name.  We're an intertribal group, so
>we've
>been trying to translate the word intertribal into Chinuk wawa, ideas are
>khanawi tilixam, khanawi Laskta, khanawi Laska, or hayu shawash tilixam.
>
>Another thought is to translate the word 'upriver' into Chinuk wawa, since
>we are located up the Columbia.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions?
>
>Hayu mersi,
>Tanya Harrison
>Pendleton, Oregon
>
>To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to
the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!