"Iwash"?

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Tue Feb 24 00:07:15 UTC 2009

Found this in the Wikipedia article about Chinook Jargon.  "Iwash" reputedly
meaning "penis."  Never heard the word, ignorant as I am.

Sixty-Four Years as a Writer
By Bill Gulick
Edition: illustrated
Published by Caxton Press, 2006
ISBN 0870044532, 9780870044533
344 pages

This book [pages 102-103] is the citation given for "iwash".  The reference
is a rock formation in the Rooster Rock State Park area.  Supposedly "iwash"
meant "penis" or vulgarly "cock", which was sanitized to "rooster".

If the place were called Siwash Rock, which several places indeed were (e.g.
in Vancouver BC's Stanley Park), it'd be easy for a misspelling or more
likely typographical error "Iwash Rock" to emerge.

I'll have to go scour old CJ dictionaries for "Iwash" to disprove this idea.

---Dave R