LaXayam

Doug Barr lingoman at MAC.COM
Tue Jan 6 20:50:54 UTC 2009

LaXayam Kanawi-Laksta!

Chxi nayka join ukuk list, and very happy to be here.

I'm just starting my study of Chinuk Wawa - I'd always been interested
in it but hadn't had much access to materials, and the ones I did were/
are in the ahnkuttie spelling which I don't find intuitive. Besides
which, I had wondered about the absence of typical PNW Indigenous-
language phonemes. Then when I saw some things on the net about Grand
Ronde Wawa and the phonetic transcription that DOES include those
sounds, I was again intrigued, so here I am.

I live in Vancouver BC and am something of a language geek, not
actually sure how many I know the basics of. I just sort of pick them
up. I do speak a little hEn!q!Emin!Em! (by which I mean Musqueam/
Downriver Halkomelem, I hope I'm transcribing that correctly), and can
make all the required sounds - although not always in the long strings
of consonants that Salish languages seem so fond of; I have met my
match and its name is Nuxalk. *grin*

Anyway, here to learn, and excited!

Doug

PS: An odd question, perhaps, but... which syllable takes the word-
stress in LaXayam? Judging by the ahnkuttie spelling "klahowya" (on a
side note, where did the "m" go?) I'm guessing the second, but I'm
confused.

Discendo discimus; nihil ex nihilo fit. - "We learn by learning;
nothing comes from nothing."