CFP: 2005 UGA Linguistic Society Conference

Lauren Squires squires at VIRGINIA.EDU
Tue Nov 1 14:27:52 UTC 2005

CFP for Georgia's grad student conference.  Deadline extended to Nov. 22,
according to the website.  I'd say CMC is something of an applicaiton and/or
innovation in linguistic research.

-LS

******

Call for Papers

Announcing the 2nd UGA Linguistics Society Graduate Conference
“Applications and Innovations in Linguistic Research”
February 26, 2005
University of Georgia, Athens, GA

Our theme this year reflects the growing concern among social scientists to
consciously relate and make research applicable to a larger context of
socially sensitive issues, ideas, and questions. In order for us as
developing scholars to rise to the challenge that a changing academic
atmosphere presents, we invite you to enter a forum for discussing how to
make research both innovative and grounded in real life issues. Many of you
may already be involved in research that prioritizes and addresses these
considerations; this conference is aimed at bringing together students
engaged in such work and those who are interested in application. We would
like to call on all fellow graduate and undergraduate students working in
various sub-fields of linguistics to take a step back and reflect on their
project from this perspective. The conference thus aims to serve as a venue
for bringing together student researchers and facilitating an exchange of
ideas so that we can begin to realize the potential we have as active
members of the scholarly community.

Graduate and undergraduate students in any linguistically-related field are
welcome to send submissions (including TESOL, anthropology, sociology,
women’s studies, etc.). Papers will last 20 minutes with an additional 5
minutes for questions and discussion. We also welcome proposals for group
sessions of 3-5 papers focused around a central theme or topic. Abstracts
should be 500 words or less and clearly state the purpose of the research
and its relevance to the field and to the theme of the conference.

Deadline for submission is Friday November 11, 2004. Submissions should be
sent via e-mail attachment to linguist at uga.edu. Please do not include your
name on the actual abstract and include a title and three keywords. Provide
in the body of the e-mail the following information:
Name
Affiliation
E-mail address
Phone number
Address.

We will notify all contributors by early December of acceptance. If you have
any questions, please contact the conference organizers at linguist at uga.edu.

----
Lauren Squires
Linguistics Program