Fwd: Call for Papers: Images and Communities

joshua raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at COLORADO.EDU
Fri Oct 28 04:27:50 UTC 2005

communities in the media age.  papers allowed in absentia.

Joshua Raclaw - MA student
Department of Linguistics
University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~raclaw/

----- Forwarded message from Adam Hodges <adam.hodges at colorado.edu> -----
    Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:27:21 -0600
    From: Adam Hodges <adam.hodges at colorado.edu>
 Subject: Call for Papers:  Images and Communities
      To: clasp at lists.colorado.edu

I'm forwarding this CFP on behalf of a colleague in Helsinki, Matteo
Stocchetti.  This looks like a great conference, and a potential forum for
some of the work being done by CLASP affiliates.  Note that they are also
accepting papers "in absence" if you can't make the trip to Finland.

-adam

-----------------

Images and Communities -
Methodological Issues and Empirical Analysis of Mediated Societies

Panel proposal for the Conference on Media and Money – Helsinki, 3-4
February 2006.

In this panel we want to provide a forum for a discussion of the
methodological issues involved in empirical analysis of the linkage between
images and community.  We are not particularly interested in the image as an
artefact, but rather in the image as a social relationship. The focus is on
the role of mediated images and their alleged capacity to constitute
communities of viewers in times when the conditions of late modernity
undermine more conventional forms of bonding.

The panel invites systematic reflection on methodological and conceptual
issues. Proposals from non mainstream and non established perspectives are
especially encouraged

Topics include, but are not limited to:
•	Concept development and the nature of evidence
•	Narrative epistemology
•	Communities in media age
•	Mapping who is doing what, where and how in research
•	Empirical research and post modern epistemologies: mission
impossible?
•	The society of spectacle, global capitalism and information
communication technology
•	From the stone to the screen: notes for a short history in the uses
of public communication

Submissions are considered for three types of presentations.

Regular presentations – paper of 7000-8000 words, 20 minutes presentation
Round table presentations – position paper of 1000 words, 5-10 minutes
Presentation “in absence” – regular paper not exceeding 7000-8000 words sent
for circulation among participants. Authors will receive feedback after the
conference.

All the accepted papers will be considered for publication.

Abstracts should be sent to: Matteo Stocchetti at
matteo.stocchetti at arcada.fi or Johanna Sumiala-Seppänen at
johanna.sumiala-seppanen at helsinki.fi

----- End forwarded message -----