CFP: SALSA 2006

Lauren Squires squires at VIRGINIA.EDU
Mon Oct 31 03:48:34 UTC 2005

I feel like I shouldn't be the one sending this around since we have at
least two UT people on the listserv, but I just noticed the call is up
(http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/salsa/CFP2006.htm; sub guidelines at
http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/salsa/subguidelines.htm) and I got excited.

Lauren

***************

CALL FOR PAPERS

University of Texas at Austin
April 7-9, 2006

Submission Deadline January 17, 2006

Keynote Speakers (SALSA XIV):
John Haviland
Linguistics and Anthropology
Reed College
Qing Zhang
Linguistics
University of Texas at Austin
Susan Herring
Information Science and Linguistics
University of Indiana
Kira Hall
Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Colorado at Boulder

The Symposium About Language and Society- Austin is pleased to annouce its
14th annual meeting to be held at the University of Texas at Austin. We
encourage the submission of abstracts on research that addresses the
relationship of language to culture and society. Desired frameworks include
but are not limited to:

     * Linguistic Anthropology
     * Sociolinguistics
     * Ethnography of Communication
     * Language and Identity
     * Speech Play, Verbal Art, and Poetics
     * Language, Media, and Technology
     * Language and Social Interaction
     * Language and Politics
     * Discourse Analysis
     * Conversation Analysis
     * Language Vitality
     * Language Socialization
     * Gesture and Talk in Interaction

Papers delivered at the conference will be published as a special edition of
the Texas Linguistic Forum. Speakers will be allowed 20 minutes for
presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Papers will be selected on the
basis of a blind review process.

Please send submissions to SALSA 2006 through the online submission form.
All submissions must include TWO abstracts: An extended abstract not to
exceed 4,100 characters and spaces (approximately 600 words), including
references and examples; and a shorter abstracts not to exceed 1,100 spaces
and characters (approximately 150 words).

*Please note that the online submission form does not accept special
formatting or text such as IPA.

Only electronic submissions sent through our online form will be accepted.
Each person is limited to ONE submission as the primary author; multiple
submissions by the same first author will not be accepted.

----
Lauren Squires
Linguistics Program
University of Virginia