[Cogsci-interpreting] Call for Interest in ISB13 Thematic Session

Laura Babcock lbabcock at gmail.com
Sat May 2 10:48:33 UTC 2020

Dear Cognitive Science of Interpreting Researchers,

I hope this email finds you all well in the crazy coronavirus times.

It seems like just yesterday that we were in Edmonton, Canada discussing
how to minimize cognitive load in interpreting, yet it is already time to
begin thinking about the next International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB)
to be held July 10-14, 2021 in Warsaw, Poland (http://isb13.wls.uw.edu.pl/).
Assuming we’re all out of lockdown by then, we’d like to continue to the
tradition of hosting a thematic session on the cognitive science of
interpreting. By doing this, all of the interpreting papers can be
presented together rather than getting lost in the shuffle of a very large
program.

It seems like each iteration of ISB changes the format slightly, and ISB13
is no different. The thematic sessions in Warsaw will be allotted 90 minute
time slots, with the idea of having three papers presented. Similar to two
years ago, we thought we could gauge interest in presenting a paper and
then group these papers into as many thematic sessions as we need. Our goal
with this email is to find out who is interested in presenting a paper on
Interpreting at ISB13.

The other tweak that ISB13 has made, is that the proposals for thematic
session are now due before abstracts for individual papers. That deadline
has been extended due to coronavirus, but is still rather soon on June 15,
2020. I know this is a rather long time before the conference and not so
long since the last, but that seems to be the way of ISB. If you have
something now that you’d like to present in July 2021, we’d be very happy
to hear about it. If you’re not quite ready yet, don’t despair, the
deadline for individual papers is November 30, 2020. Further, the
organizers note that they might ask thematic sessions to include papers
from that submission.

We would really like to submit at least one thematic session on
interpreting to continue the momentum. If you would like to be part of
them, this is what we would ask of you. First, by May 25, 2020, please let
us (see the end of the email for addresses) know you are interested and
give us at least a (working) title for the paper and brief description so
that we know where to place it thematically. Second, by June 8, 2020, send
the full abstract (maximum 300 words). This will allow us enough time to
finalize the submissions before the June 15 deadline.

Finally, if you know of a researcher working in this area who does not
receive these emails, feel free to forward this message to them and suggest
that they sign up for this listserve. Also, if you are interested in
serving as a section leader for one of the sessions, please let us know.

We are looking forward to hearing from you all now and seeing you at ISB13!

Best regards,

Laura Babcock, *lbabcock at gmail.com <lbabcock at gmail.com>*

Alexis Hervais-Adelman, *alexis.hervais-adelman at uzh.ch
<alexis.hervais-adelman at uzh.ch>*