[Cogsci-interpreting] Call for papers for Symposia on Interpreting at ISB14

Laura Babcock lbabcock at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 07:07:17 UTC 2022

Dear Cognitive Science of Interpreting Researchers,

I hope this email finds you all well.

As you all come out of your COVID bubbles and consider travel again, we
want to put the International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB14) on your
radar. The conference will be held in Sydney, Australia June 26-30 2023,
though the website does indicate that there will be hybrid options (
https://www.isb14.com/home). It seems the organizers have noticed our
persistent presence at previous ISBs and our contributions to the field as
Interpreting and Translation is one of the content areas this year.
Additionally, Kilian Seeber will be giving one of the keynotes. So, it’s a
great time to jump on the train and show off the work we do.

With that in mind, we are writing to see who is interested in presenting a
paper in a one or more symposia on Interpreting and Cognitive Science. We
think it’s nice to keep our papers together, rather than having them mixed
throughout the large program. We consider this topic broadly, so papers
looking at cognitive processes, cognition, or neurobiology in any kind of
interpreting (e.g., dialogue/community, conference, multimodal) are very
welcome! As with the past two conferences, we thought we could gauge
interest and then divide the papers into appropriate symposia. The format
at ISB14 will be 120 minute blocks with either four papers or three papers
and a discussion. Our goal with this email is to find out who is interested
in presenting a paper at ISB14.

Note that right now the organizers are looking for symposia, with a
deadline of September 1, 2022. But we can only assume that they will
announce a call for individual papers closer to the conference. So, if
you’re not quite ready to commit to a conference one year from now, you
can, of course, wait and submit an abstract for an individual paper.

That said, we would really like to submit at least one symposium on
interpreting to claim our space. If you would like to be part of a
symposium, this is what we would ask of you. First, by August 8, 2022,
please let us (see the end of the email for addresses) know you are
interested and give us at least a (working) title for the paper and brief
description so that we know where to place it thematically. Second, by
August 22, 2022, send the full abstract (maximum 1 page, 12 pt. font plus 1
extra page for figures and references). This will allow us enough time to
finalize the submissions before the September 1 deadline.

Finally, if you know of a researcher working in this area who does not
receive these emails, feel free to forward this message to them and suggest
that they sign up for this listserve. Also, if you are interested in
serving as a section leader for one of the symposia, please let us know.

We are looking forward to hearing from you all now and seeing you at ISB14!

Best regards,

Laura Babcock, laura.babcock at su.se

Alexis Hervais-Adelman, alexis.hervais-adelman at uzh.ch

Laura Babcock, PhD
Assistant Professor
Institute for Interpreting and Translation Studies
Stockholm University