Corpora: SQL Server... (clarification)

Mark Davies mdavies at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 4 21:56:38 UTC 2000

In re-reading my previous post, I realize that I failed to make completely
clear an important point.

What I should have said is that although there are some great Unix/Linux
programs to allow Web access to corpora (e.g. IMS Corpus Workbench,
ht://Dig, WebGlimpse, etc), my perception is that there is much less
available for the PC/NT platform, at least as far as programs that
**provide a web interface**, and which allow for the size of corpora, speed
of searching, and KWIC formatting that I discussed.  I think that it is the
(apparent) lack of web interfaces for the ** PC/NT ** platform that might
justify new approaches to the problem, and that this isn't (as) much of an
issue on the Unix/Linux  side, where very good programs already
exist.  Sorry for any confusion that this may have created.

Mark Davies
Illinois State University

Mark Davies, Associate Professor, Spanish Linguistics
Dept. of Foreign Languages, Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-4300

Voice:309/438-7975      email:mdavies at ilstu.edu
Fax:309/438-8038          http://mdavies.for.ilstu.edu/