Corpora: complexity and classification fo questions

DUCLAYE Florence thesard FTRD/DMI/LAN florence.duclaye at rd.francetelecom.fr
Thu Dec 7 09:19:21 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

Some weeks ago, I sent you an e-mail to ask for any information on the
complexity of question making.

- Firstly, I would like to thank the following people for their precious
help :

Laurie Gerber
Matthew Purver
Thierry Poibeau
Jeroen Groenendijk

- Secondly, here is a list of the various information and addresses I
obtained :

Generally speaking, one can first evaluate the complexity of questions
according to the type of mental process they entail (see Bloom's taxonomy).
Their complexity also depends on the features of the question (any kind of
ambiguity, degree of objectivity/subjectivity, implicit/explicit data, ...)
and the features of the answer (nb of elements required, type of analysis
required, ...) (see Martin Stokhof's homepage).
Then, questions can be classified according to their focus and the type of
answer (see TREC-8, L. Gerber's pages)

->> Bloom's taxonomy of questions : classifies questions according to the
type of mental process they entail
http://www.utexas.edu/student/lsc/handouts/1414.html,
http://www.coun.uvic.ca/learn/program/hndouts/bloom.html

->> Martin Stokhof's home page : papers on questions, and interrogatives and
adverbvs of quantification
http://turing.wins.uva.nl/~stokhof/

->> ILLC prepublication series, which can be reached via Martin Stockhof's
homepage : paper on the logic of interrogation

->> TREC-8 track : http://trec.nist.gov/pubs/trec8/t8_proceedings.html

->> Classification by the type of answer sought :
http://www.isi.edu/~gerber/WH_Analysis.html
http://www.isi.edu/~gerber/taxonomy_toplevel.html

->> http://renoir.seas.smu.edu/~sanda/papers.html

->> Leila Kosseim (U. de montréal) homepage : worked on automatic e-mail
answering
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~kosseim/index_en.html