Corpora: ENGLISH LANGUAGE CORPUS DEVELOPMENT

Judy Pearsall jpearsall at oup.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 12:05:55 UTC 2000

ENGLISH LANGUAGE CORPUS DEVELOPMENT: PROGRAMMER REQUIRED FOR SHORT TERM
RESEARCH PROJECT

Oxford University Press is planning a major expansion of its corpus
building programme. We are looking to recruit a programmer to
work alongside editors and consultants to extend OUP's English
language corpus holdings. We anticipate that the project will last six
months.

Candidates should have considerable programming experience, preferably
including perl. Expertise in any of the following will be an advantage:

*       language corpora
*	handling large data sets
*	advanced web search engine use/design
*	information retrieval
*	classification algorithms
*	web downloading programmes (e.g. wget)

An interest in and knowledge of corpus linguistics is desirable, though
not essential.

The work will be contract based with an attractive pay package. It
will be directed from Oxford, but by agreement could be done from
a remote location with regular liaison meetings.

Please send cv and accompanying letter to

Judy Pearsall (jpearsall at oup.co.uk)
Publishing Manager, English Dictionaries and Thesauruses
Oxford University Press

Closing date: Friday 19 January 2001