Corpora: language engineering

jock at ccl.umist.ac.uk jock at ccl.umist.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 10:52:25 UTC 2000

Tim,

You are not alone...

Here at UMIST, we have been doing both computational linguistics and
language engineering for 25 years or so, where LE is to be interpreted
as defined by Geoff ("contributing to practical, industrially or socially
valuable NLP systems"). The term "language engineering" in this sense is
one we adopted in the 90s to better describe one of our activities.

As we include terminology and sublanguage within the scope of what we
do, as well as computational lexicography, then wearing both a lexicographer's
and a terminologist's hat, I'm quite happy to admit two senses of
"language engineering", if not more - no doubt Ramesh would agree there.

We even have an undergraduate Masters degree entitled Master of Language
Engineering in Computational Linguistics (MLangEng) - a four year degree
including work experience. There seems to be strong demand in Europe for
graduates trained in LE in the NLP sense.

Then again we are in a scientific and technological university, so it
seems natural for us to be taking an engineering approach along with our
colleagues in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, etc.

Regards,

Jock

John McNaught		     	jock at ccl.umist.ac.uk
Centre for Computational Linguistics
Department of
  Language Engineering
UMIST
PO Box 88
Sackville Street
Manchester, UK         	     	tel: +44.161.200.3098 (direct)
M60 1QD                      	fax: +44.161.200.3099