Corpora: Collaborative effort

Geoffrey Williams williams at ensinfo.univ-nantes.fr
Tue Jun 13 06:17:27 UTC 2000

So far I can't help. I checked out "fierce" on my corpus of plant biology
and it seems that, at least in academic writing, plants and their
biologists just aren't fierce. Just to be certain I tried "feroce" in a
corpus of popular scientific French, here we do find "controverse",
"combat" and "competition", I daresay a magazine like New Scientist would
give similar results. The effect of genre will be interesting. For the
moment I can only supply negative evidence, hope to be more positive on
future word choices.

Best

Geoffrey

At 15:54 09/06/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear Corpora-people
>
>I've just had an idea for a collaborative venture that might benefit
>the whole language-research community.

********************************

Geoffrey WILLIAMS

COLEX - Centre Ouest Lexique