Corpora: Collaborative effort

Paul Buitelaar paulb at dfki.de
Tue Jun 13 09:49:33 UTC 2000

Patrick Ruch wrote:

> I am involved in a project where we are tagging medical text using a subset
> of UMLS. Although words are usually less ambiguous in such "narrow"
> domain than in unrestricted texts, we are also facing some agreement
> problems. Could you ship me the some references about the topic ?

Dear Patrick,

You can find some recent references to this subject on one of the pages of a
course I give at the moment:

http://dfki.de/~paulb/lexsem_week4.2000.html

Also, I would like to ask you about your work on semantic annotation of
medical text. We just started a European-American project on cross-lingual
information access in the medical domain, which will include quite a bit of
semantic annotation efforts for the purposes of medical terminology and
relation extraction. Therefore I would be rather interested to learn more
about the experiences you have made so far with UMLS tagging. Please let me
know about any material available.

Finally, I would like to make you aware of a workshop I co-organize on
Semantic Annotation, which will be held in Luxembourg, August 5th/6th, in
conjunction with the COLING conference:

http://www.coling.org/work-expl5.html

Thanks,

        Paul Buitelaar