Corpora: Subcategorization frames

Anoop Sarkar anoop at unagi.cis.upenn.edu
Sun Jun 18 19:39:37 UTC 2000

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking for references concerning the acquisition of =
> subcategorization frames from corpora. Especially with machine learning =
> techniques.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Katia Kermanidis

Here is a fairly comprehensive bibliography.

-Anoop

----------

@InProceedings{sarkar00:_subcat_frames_czech,
  author = 	 {Anoop Sarkar and Daniel Zeman},
  title = 	 {Automatic Extraction of Subcategorization Frames for Czech},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of COLING 2000},
  year =	 2000
}

@InProceedings{manning93:_subcat,
  author = 	 {Christopher D. Manning},
  title = 	 {Automatic Acquisition of a Large Subcategorization Dictionary
from Corpora},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 31st Meeting of the ACL},
  pages =	 {235--242},
  year =	 1993,
  address =	 {Columbus, Ohio}
}

@InProceedings{briscoe97:_subcat,
  author = 	 {Ted Briscoe and John Carroll},
  title = 	 {Automatic Extraction of Subcategorization from Corpora},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 5th ANLP Conference},
  pages =	 {356--363},
  year =	 1997,
  address =	 {Washington, D.C.},
  organization = {ACL}
}

@InProceedings{carroll98:_subcat_help_parser,
  author = 	 {John Carroll and Guido Minnen},
  title = 	 {Can Subcategorisation Probabilities Help a Statistical Parser},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 6th ACL/SIGDAT Workshop on Very Large
Corpora (WVLC-6)},
  year =	 1998,
  address =	 {Montreal, Canada}
}

@InProceedings{brent91:_subcat,
  author = 	 {Michael Brent},
  title = 	 {Automatic acquisition of subcategorization frames from untagged
text},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 29th Meeting of the ACL},
  pages =	 {209--214},
  year =	 1991,
  address =	 {Berkeley, CA}
}

@Article{brent93:_unsup_learn,
  author = 	 {Michael Brent},
  title = 	 {From grammar to lexicon: unsupervised learning of lexical syntax},
  journal = 	 {Computational Linguistics},
  year = 	 1993,
  volume =	 19,
  number =	 3,
  pages =	 {243--262}
}

@Article{brent94:_acquis_subcat,
  author = 	 {Michael Brent},
  title = 	 {Acquisition of subcategorization frames using aggregated evidence
from local syntactic cues},
  journal = 	 {Lingua},
  year = 	 1994,
  volume =	 92,
  pages =	 {433--470},
  note =	 {Reprinted in Acquisition of the Lexicon, L. Gleitman and B. Landau
(Eds.). MIT Press, Cambridge, MA}
}

@InProceedings{webster89:_lexical_frames,
  author = 	 {Mort Webster and Mitchell Marcus},
  title = 	 {Automatic acquisition of the lexical frames of verbs from
sentence frames},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 27th Meeting of the ACL},
  pages =	 {177--184},
  year =	 1989
}

@InProceedings{carroll98:_valen_pcfg,
  author = 	 {Glenn Carroll and Mats Rooth},
  title = 	 "{Valence induction with a head-lexicalized PCFG}",
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Empirical Methods in
Natural
Language Processing (EMNLP 3)},
  year =	 1998,
  address =	 {Granada, Spain}
}

@InProceedings{ushioda93:_verb_subcat,
  author = 	 {Akira Ushioda and David A. Evans and Ted Gibson and Alex Waibel},
  title = 	 {The Automatic Acquisition of Frequencies of Verb
Subcategorization Frames from Tagged Corpora},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the Workshop on Acquisition of Lexical
Knowledge from Text},
  pages =	 {95--106},
  year =	 1993,
  editor =	 {B. Boguraev and J. Pustejovsky},
  address =	 {Columbus, OH},
  month =	 {21 June}
}

@InCollection{ersan96:_case_frames,
  author = 	 {Murat Ersan and Eugene Charniak},
  title = 	 {A Statistical Syntactic Disambiguation Program and What It
Learns},
  booktitle = 	 {Connectionist, Statistical and Symbolic Approaches in
Learning for Natural Language Processing},
  pages =	 {146--159},
  publisher =	 {Springer-Verlag},
  year =	 1996,
  editor =	 {S. Wermter and E. Riloff and G. Scheler},
  volume =	 1040,
  series =	 {Lecture Notes in Artifical Intelligence},
  address =	 {Berlin}
}

@InProceedings{basili98:_subcat,
  author = 	 {Roberto Basili and Michele Vindigni},
  title = 	 {Adapting a Subcategorization Lexicon to a Domain},
  booktitle = 	 {Proceedings of the ECML'98 Workshop {\em TANLPS: Towards
adaptive NLP-driven systems: linguistic information, learning methods and
applications}},
  year =	 1998,
  address =	 {Chemnitz, Germany},
  month =	 {Apr 24}