Corpora: Formal Spoken English

Linn Kinley Roby-Muller l.k.roby-muller at reading.ac.uk
Tue Mar 14 20:56:50 UTC 2000

I will be doing a longitudinal study of formal spoken English in the
House of Commons Committee sessions for my MA dissertation at the
University of Reading (Centre for Applied Language Studies). I would be
extremely grateful if anyone knows of a similar corpora from within the
last ten years which I could use as a basis for comparison.

I will be focussing on hedging devices.

As I worked teaching MPs at the German Parliament for five years
(1994-1999), I am particularly interested in applications of
concordance-based instruction for diplomats, civil servants, and those
training for work in the European Union.

Thank you in advance for your help

Linn Roby-Muller

Linn Roby-Muller
Whiteknights Hall