Corpora: alignment programs

Marco Antonio Esteves da Rocha marcor at cce.ufsc.br
Tue May 16 15:03:27 UTC 2000

Dear all:

I would like to carry out a few tests with an alignment program. I have
read the Gale and Church (1993) paper and, as you know, it comes with the
code. Before actually transcribing it:

1. Can I get it machine-readable anywhere ?
2. Will it compile and run in my PC on a Mandrake Linux ?
3. Has anyone run tests ?
4. Any other more recent or easier options ?
5. Are there any options that run in Windows (many students resist working
   with anything but Windows) ?

At the moment, the actual purpose of the request is teaching, as part
of a corpus linguistics course. So it is just a demo, but I would like it
to be as real-life-like as possible, and it may develop into an actual
full-fledged research initiative. Languages involved are English and
Portuguese, so far, Spanish should be included soon.

Thanks

Marco Rocha
marcor at cce.ufsc.br