Corpora: Job posting: Information retrieval

Phil Edmonds phil at sharp.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 11:45:43 UTC 2000

RESEARCH SCIENTIST -- INFORMATION RETRIEVAL

SHARP LABORATORIES OF EUROPE LTD

OXFORD

Sharp Corporation is a world leader in consumer electronics.  Our
product range includes the latest multimedia mobile handsets, PDAs and
portable computers.  At Sharp Laboratories of Europe, the Information
Technology group is conducting research in multimedia information
retrieval to help users make better use of the data that such
appliances provide.

We are looking for dynamic and innovative people to enhance our lively
research team, and help us create ground-breaking software that
addresses the new markets and opportunities opened up by the emergence
of a wired society.

We are offering a position to a highly creative individual to develop
innovative solutions for textual information retrieval, initially
investigating interactive query refinement, query expansion and
relevance feedback techniques.  Because the research will be directed
towards current and future consumer products, having an eye towards
usability is important to us. Our plans involve extending our system
to handle multimedia, so if you also have an interest in the retrieval
of images or video, we want you.

You will have the following:

 * A PhD or equivalent in Information Retrieval or a related area

 * Excellent programming skills in C/C++

Closing date: 15 December 2000

The laboratory has excellent facilities and is situated on the Oxford
Science Park. To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to
Victoria Notley <vee.notley at sharp.co.uk> quoting reference
IT-IR-1. Alternatively, send your details to Victoria Notley, Sharp
Laboratories of Europe Limited, Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science
Park, Oxford OX4 4GB.

Philip Edmonds                          (    phil at sharp.co.uk
Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd         )   www.sle.sharp.co.uk
Edmund Halley Road, Oxford Science Park (    +44 1865 747711 phone
Oxford OX4 4GB, United Kingdom           )   +44 1865 714170 fax