Corpora: Phonemic Corpora

VSWarren at aol.com VSWarren at aol.com
Sat Nov 11 14:53:08 UTC 2000

I am completing research which involves the analysis of 'phonemes' in use for
spoken English and I need to find phonemic transcriptions for approx. 20k
different words.  I have taken the actual realisation of words as they are
spoken so verbs appear in all their conjugations, nouns as both singular and
plural etc.

I  have downloaded the phonemic transcriptions from the MRC Oxford
Psycholinguistic Database but this gives me less than half of the words I
actually find I need.  Many dictionaries contain only the root form of verbs,
singular of nouns etc. and none of the compounding of words actually heard in
speech e.g. 'it'll, he'll, we'll etc.  Taking a letter to represent a phoneme
in these instances produces some very interesting results e.g. for the above
'hell' and 'well'.

Can anyone please suggest either a program to convert from orthographic to
phonemic or alternatively a large corpora where phonemic transcriptions are
given for such a large number of different words.

I would be extremely grateful for any help that could be suggested.  Please
reply to
'VSWarren at aol.com'.

Sandra Warren