Corpora: Corpus representativeness - a query

Sampo Nevalainen samponev at cc.joensuu.fi
Mon Nov 13 09:11:36 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

I am currently working on my dissertation on corpus linguistics. I am
particularly interested in the concept of corpus representativeness, and as
a part of my work I would like to "map out" how people involved in corpus
linguistics understand this concept. Here I need your help, inviting you to
tell me what "representativeness" means to you as a concept and how
important a feature you think it is for corpus design. In brief, what I
would like to know is your personal idea of "representrativeness" in corpus
linguistics.

I know this issue has occasionally been discussed on the list, but I hope
you will answer my query anyway. Please answer directly to me and I will
sum up the answers later on the corpus list. The information may also be
used in an article on corpus representativeness and/or in my dissertation,
so please inform me if you prefer to submit your answer anonymously.

I would also be grateful for any bibliographical references on this
subject, but above all I would like to hear what you personally think about
corpus representativeness.

Thank you very much for cooperation!

Sincerely,

Sampo Nevalainen

( : ============================================= : )

Sampo Nevalainen, M.A.
Assistant, Russian - Translation and Interpretation
University of Joensuu
Savonlinna School of Translation Studies
P.O.Box 48
FIN-57101 Savonlinna
FINLAND

tel 	+358-15-511 70	(operator)