Corpora: Measures for the similarity between two sentences

Miles Osborne osborne at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 15:50:35 UTC 2000

i'm not sure if this is a well-posed question as (unless one opts for
something objective, and non-computable, like kolmogorov complexity) any
metric will be subjective in some way or other.  as an example, string
edit distance could be used as your metric (sentences A and B are equally
similar to C if A and B can be mapped to C using the same number of
edits), but one could easily imagine another set of editing operations
that  would say that (for example) A could be mapped to C using fewer
operations.

now, if you have some sort of application in mind, then it might be
possible to invent some metric that gave useful similarity measures
between sentences.

do you?

Miles Osborne