Corpora: error tagging of learners' English

E S Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 14:14:49 UTC 2000

Vicki,
you didnt specify what sort of errors and what sort of learner's English;

- if you're looking for spelling and grammar errors in text, Microsoft
Word-2000 is the best I know of, it red-underlines spelling errors,
and faint-underlines "grammatical" errors (ie errors involving more than
one word); it even suggests corrections.

- if you're dealing with spoken English and want software to detect
pronunciation errors (and suggest corrections), try the downloadable ISLE
demo pronunciation tutor,
http://nats-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~isle/download.html

Neither system is a "batch-oriented tagger" ie they are not designed for
high-volume Corpus throughput.

Incidentally, the ISLE project also collected the ISLE Spoken database of
non-native English, about 18 hours of learners' speech, annotated with
errors (at word- phone- or stress-level), available as 4 CDs from ELRA,
see http://nats-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~isle/speech.html

--
Eric Atwell, Distributed Multimedia Systems MSc Tutor & SOCRATES Tutor
School of Computing, University of Leeds, LEEDS LS2 9JT
WWW: http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric  EMAIL: eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk