Corpora: error tagging of learners' English

Pete Whitelock pete at sharp.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 16:04:54 UTC 2000

There was a product called 'Native English' Writing Assistant originally
developed in 1997 by INSO who were taken over by L&H around 1998. It
installs into Word, Netscape or whatever, and seems (to me) pretty
similar to Word's own grammar checker, although it does claim to address
the specific problems characteristic of learners of French, Spanish or
German - you set your L1 when you install it. It's also got bilingual
dictionaries for these languages.

I can't find a mention of it at L&H's web site, http://www.lhsl.com/, so
maybe it's been discontinued. They were giving out free trial CDs at
Coling Montreal in 98 - there are probably lots of these floating about.

Pete

--
E-mail: pete at sharp.co.uk          \ Pete Whitelock
 Internet: http://www.sharp.co.uk  \ Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd

The Law of Detail: Nothing is so simple that there is not a stupid way
to do it.