Corpora: CFP: IJCAI'2001 workshop on Ontology Learning

Alexander Maedche ama at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Nov 22 15:39:23 UTC 2000

***********   Call for Papers: Ontology Learning   ******************
********************   IJCAI-2001 Workshop  *************************
********************   August 4, 2001, Seattle **********************

Comprehensive information to be found at
                        http://ol2001.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de

Workshop Summary

Ontologies serve as a means for establishing a conceptually concise
basis for communicating knowledge for many purposes. In recent years,
we have seen a surge of interest that deals with the discovery and
automatic creation of complex, multirelational knowledge structures.
For example, the natural language community tries to acquire word
semantics from natural language texts, database researchers tackle
the problem of schema induction, and people building intelligent
information agents research the learning of complex structures from
semi-structured input (HTML, XML). All the while, efforts in the
machine learning community pursue the induction of more concise and
more expressive knowledge structures (e.g., relational learning) in
general.

For the workshop we intend to gather a diverse range of participants
interested in the machine learning of ontologies. In particular, we
are also interested in the maintenance (revision, incrementality) and
integration (from various sources) aspects of learning ontologies.

Topics of interest include, e.g.:
     Text mining for building ontologies
     Learning from machine-readable dictionaries
     Lexical acquisition
     Learning selectional restrictions
     Semi-automatic extending of ontologies (WordNet)
     Multi-relational learning / Inductive Logic Programming
     A-Box Mining
     Learning ontologies with inferences (e.g. description logics)
     Learning ontologies from the Web (from DTDs, XML, RDF)
     Cooperative learning of ontologies
     Learning translation rules between ontologies
     Reverse Engineering relational schemas to ontologies

Besides of the common digital presentations, we intend that
participants give live system demonstrations.

An invited talk "Learning to translate between ontologies" will be
given by Alon Halevy (up until recently: Alon Levy), University
of Washington.

Important Dates

 Deadline for paper submission 21 February 2001
 Notification of acceptance    21 March 2001
 Deadline final contributions  30 April 2001

All accepted papers will be published in the IJCAI-2001 workshop
proceedings.

Submission Information

 We invite contributions that advance the state-of-the-art in topics
 related to the purpose of the workshop. Persons interested in
 participating should submit either a technical paper (less than
 6000 words) or a position paper (less than 1500 words) addressing
 new research issues. In addition, we solicit proposals for panel
 discussions and break-out groups that work towards visions for
 ontology learning. Submit before February 21, 2001 in electronic form
 (strongly preferred!) in postscript or pdf in the final
 IJCAI style format to:

     ama at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de

or send three hard copies of your submission to:

"Ontology Learning OL2001"
Steffen Staab and Alexander Maedche
Institute AIFB,
Karlsruhe University,
D-76128 Karlsruhe,
Germany

Organizing Committee

 Steffen Staab (Contact),
     AIFB, Karlsruhe University,
     76128 Karlsruhe, Germany
     email: sst at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
     phone: +49-721-608 4751
     fax: +49-721-693 717
 Alexander Maedche, AIFB, Karlsruhe University
 Claire Nedellec, Inference and Machine Learning Group,
                  LRI, Université Paris Sud
 Ed Hovy, Information Sciences Institute,
                  University of Southern California